Friday, February 27, 2009

Watch "Waitress" for Pie Inspiration

So, my sister is in town, and has informed me that she has given up sweets for Lent. So alas, I have decided not to enact cruel torture by filling my house with the smell of pie.

Instead, I want to recommend to you the movie Waitress for pie-making inspiration. This movie has it all--the dead-beat husband, caddy wait staff, "spontaneous poetry," and of course, lots of pie. Plus a gruff Andy Griffith--what more could you want?

The heroine in Waitress creates pies for every situation in her life, both good and bad. It's an excellent example of how pie-making can be therapeutic and rewarding, not to mention how it can bring people together. I would highly recommend it.

In the meantime, I recommend the "Poor Man's Pie," this week's Pie of the Week--courtesy of my friend Jen. I promised not to tell her grandmother that she leaked the recipe, so mum's the word! Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about that movie-- had no idea it also had to do with pie :) Guess it's a must-see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW- I think your Poor Man's Pie is going to be my first pie. My boyfriend doesn't like "fruit" pies, so that's a good one, and it looks relatively simple... thanks for the aluminum foil advice, because I ALWAYS burn stuff so I'll probably cover it.

    I really want to learn to quilt!! We live in a smaller apartment now and I'm always afraid to get started... I tend to let my hobbies rule the living room (you should see my yarn everywhere!). I also don't have a sewing machine... but as soon as we move to a place a little bigger I'm going to ask for one for Christmas!

    Last thing- (longest comment ever!) I saw this blog and the latest post on Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake made me laugh (heart attack! I bet it's so good though!) and I thought you might get a laugh too. http://www.culinaryconcoctionsbypeabody.com/
    I bet one bite is like 200 calories!

    ReplyDelete